Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yurple

Scammers within your Altar!

Dear Altar Community! A notice about some scamming.

Please be aware of certain players in your altar that appear lower level, but have party hats (typicaly) keepsaked. These players tend to be lower level and will sit idly in your altar. A good chunk of them will be targeting players with expensive items equipped, and will try to gain their friendship by donating cash (usually 25m) and saying (you're my 8, 9, 10th person today)! 

The goal of these people are to attempt to gain another players trust and eventually lure them into the wilderness with the promise of "scamming the scammers" out of their gold. DO NOT FALL FOR IT! If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

I spent about 7 hours uncovering a huge scam within the Altar community! Be very wary, there's a lot of players who look for wealthy players to target within the altar community! I have already submitted to some clan members as well as forwarded it to the Jagex Community team members and other Community Player moderators. Just be wary and look out for your fellow altar runners! 

Edit! Just found out that the scammers we were able to expose have been banned! Thanks to all those (won't name them) who helped!

A couple of us were able to actually get some of lurerers banned the other night. So thank you to the FC community members who assisted! 

Admins, if this post is not allowed, please feel free to delete it! I Just want to remind the community to be wary. This is a very small group of people, no need to be paranoid, but always keep your head on a swivel.

I do have a recording of the livestream that we submitted to the Jagex Community moderators if it's appropriate to share here.

Guess they've recently started using Altars to find people, Haven't seen anything like this done before but I haven't really been around many altars for the past 2 weeks or so. 

29 minutes ago, Of RWBY said:

Guess they've recently started using Altars to find people, Haven't seen anything like this done before but I haven't really been around many altars for the past 2 weeks or so. 

Yeah there seem to be a large influx of them, so not sure. Just wanted to make everyone aware.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the heads up. I haven’t hosted regularly since well before the new year but I’ll be keeping an eye out. 

Edited by Marie
  • +1 1

I unfortunately fell for this scam like 2 years ago on RS3. It was a little different, this looks  a bit more evolved but pretty much the same thing.

The guy essentially had his scammer account try to scam me with a known scam. Another guy tried to befriend me after complimenting me on all the nice gear I had on and make fun of the scammer.. basically leveling with me on how dumb those scammers are. He lead me to look up an anti-scam youtube video which my guess was one of his own and then convinced me to anti-scam one of the scammers. Long story short, I ended up loosing a black santa back when it was like $500M on RS3 :(. 

Sucked but lesson learned, we've all been there. This sort of awareness is key to preventing it though. Scammers are getting very clever these days.

• +1 1

On 8/6/2020 at 12:16 AM, Shuuby Doo said:

I unfortunately fell for this scam like 2 years ago on RS3. It was a little different, this looks  a bit more evolved but pretty much the same thing.

The guy essentially had his scammer account try to scam me with a known scam. Another guy tried to befriend me after complimenting me on all the nice gear I had on and make fun of the scammer.. basically leveling with me on how dumb those scammers are. He lead me to look up an anti-scam youtube video which my guess was one of his own and then convinced me to anti-scam one of the scammers. Long story short, I ended up loosing a black santa back when it was like $500M on RS3 :(. 

Sucked but lesson learned, we've all been there. This sort of awareness is key to preventing it though. Scammers are getting very clever these days.

Yep, be vigilant. Don't be paranoid, not everyone is a scammer. But if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if someone wants you to trade in the wildy.